Job Title: Medical Technologist/Technician Department: Laboratory Date:
Position Reports To: Laboratory Manager FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Under general supervision, but according to established policies and procedures performs various clinical laboratory tests in one or more sections of the Clinical Laboratory to obtain data for use
in diagnosis and treatment of diseases. Analyzes and interprets test results and ensures accuracy of results. Maintains quality control, performs various special duties, performs maintenance in accordance with all established policies and procedures.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Sets up, calibrates and adjusts laboratory equipment such as analyzers with associated computers and printers, microscopes, stainers and appropriate reagents in order to perform laboratory analysis of patient specimens.
- Performs routine and complex laboratory studies as scheduled by Laboratory manager in the areas listed below. Reports clearly, completely, and expeditiously.
Hematology: Performs tests on blood specimens and other body fluids of counts and
morphology. Operates equipment pertinent to this area.
Chemistry: Performs chemical analysis on blood and other fluids, operating electronic
and automated equipment as necessary.
Urinalysis: Examines urine specimens chemically and microscopically.
Serology/Immunology: Performs a variety of serological tests according to
Microbiology: Cultures and identifies all specimens sent to the laboratory for study,
perform sensitivity tests and transfers unidentifiable specimens.
Parasitology: Examines and identifies parasites isolated.
- All technologists are required to maintain an in-depth knowledge of technique, principles and instruments and their inter-relationships as well as physiological conditions affecting each test.
- Participate actively in continuing education and participate in proficiency testing as required for licensure.
- Maintain a clean and orderly work area including proper care and use of equipment and
supplies, performance of routine safety program checks and preventative maintenance on
- Maintain the confidentiality of patient information and other clinical materials.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Lab assistants – Advises on appropriate specimen requirements.
All levels – results, demographics, state reporting.
Analytical decision making is vital to proper work performance.
Entering incorrect results directly affects patient care.
Excellent communication skills required to report, explain lab values as well as train co-workers.
High pressure, fast paced, multi-tasking
Must have working knowledge of all pieces of laboratory equipment.
Required: High School Diploma or GED
Preferred: Associate of Science Degree, Bachelor of Science Degree
Preferred: At least six months
Must have full use of arms and legs. Must be able to stand for long periods of time. Must have excellent eyesight and hearing. Excellent communication skills are required. Must be able to move around in small spaces.
The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this job classification. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of people assigned to this job classification. Management reserves the right to change the duties or add to the duties of this job whenever it deems necessary.