Position Reports To: Laboratory Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
To perform phlebotomy procedures using accepted phlebotomy technique, correctly label and identify patients.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Identifies patient to be drawn in a professional, courteous manner.
- Selects appropriate tubes to be drawn.
- Performs phlebotomy procedure using the appropriate technique, i.e., vacutainer, syringe, butterfly fingerstick, etc.
- Properly labels specimens in accordance with established policy.
- Instructs patients in random urine collection, 24-hour urine collection, glucose tolerance testing, H. Pylori breath testing.
- Answers phone/questions, performs EKG’s, enters patient demographics and test requests.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
High level of confidentiality. All ordered laboratory testing, results, patients demographics are confidential
Laboratory results are not released to anyone except the ordering office. Use of tests are not discussed with patient.
Use computer, office software, and standard office equipment such as: multi line telephone, calculator, fax/copier, and mailing equipment
Wrong specimen drawn requires the patient to return – delays result to physician. -Hemolyzed, QNS requires patient to return – delays results to physician.
Ongoing communication with office staff regarding patient lab values/tests. Patient communication re: phlebotomy.
Basis windows knowledge; must have working knowledge of all phlebotomy supplies and equipment.
Will be required to work in all outdoor elements: rain, extreme heat, etc.
Required: High School Diploma/GED
Preferred: Phlebotomy course
Required: Will train post phlebotomy course
Preferred: At least 6-months experience
Good communication skills, pleasant personality, good phlebotomy technique, dependable.
Must have full use of arms and legs. Must have excellent eyesight and hearing. Must be able to handle the heavy lifting. Must be able to get in and out of the van with ease.
The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this job classification. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of people assigned to this job classification. Management reserves the right to change the duties or add to the duties of this job whenever it deems necessary.
Interested and qualified professionals may submit a resume to email@example.com.