Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
Position Reports To: Laboratory Manager FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Processes lab specimens. Answers telephone calls and communicates requested information – i.e., results, specimen requirements, billing information. Requires attention to detail.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Process specimens in accordance with specimen requirements of this lab as well as referral labs.
- Performs all aspects of phlebotomy and clerical/EKG clerk job descriptions.
- Refers specimens to appropriate reference lab in accordance with insurance contracts.
- Maintains logs and records of referral tests
- Assists the technical staff in gathering specimens for test performance.
- Performs occult blood testing.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Phlebotomist – advises on proper specimen collection (requirements)
Clerical/EKG Clerks – advises on proper ordering of tests and EKG performance.
High level of confidentiality, i.e., test results, patient demographics, etc.
All decision making governed by established policies, procedures, and protocol.
Error in judgement could result in the wrong test ordered which would delay results and wrong lab selected which would cost the facility money.
Communication skills essential to ascertain need of caller, i.e., test results, test requirements, billing, turn-around time questions. Heavy contact with co-workers and patients.
High stress, fast paced, multi-tasking
Lab equipment, phlebotomy equipment, computer/keyboard windows application.
Required: High School Diploma or GED
Required: Six months experience as phlebotomist/Lab assistant.
Required: Good communication skills, ability to concentrate and pay attention to detail.
Must have full use of arms and legs. Must be able to stand for long periods of time. Must have excellent eyesight and hearing. Excellent communication skills are required. Must be able to life 25 lbs. or more on a daily basis. Must be able to move around in small spaces.
The statements above are duties required of people assigned to this job classification. Management reserves the right to change the duties or add to the duties of this job whenever it deems necessary.