Job Title: Medical Assistant, Medical Office
Position Reports To: Director of Nursing
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Perform administrative and certain clinical duties under the direction of physician. Administrative duties may include scheduling appointments, maintaining medical records, some billing and coding for insurance purposes. Clinical duties may include taking and recording vital signs and medical histories, preparing patients for examination, performing injections, and administering medications as directed by physician. Exclude “Physician Assistants”.
- Prepare treatment rooms for patient examinations, keeping the rooms need and clean.
- Interview patients to obtain medical information and measure their vital signs, weight and height.
- Show patients to examination rooms and prepare them for the physician.
- Help physicians examine and treat patients, handing them instruments and materials or performing such tasks as giving injections or removing sutures
- Record patients’ medical history, vital statistics and information such as test results in electronic medical records system.
- Explain treatment procedures, medications, diets and physicians’ instructions to patients.
- In the course of seeking treatment, patients entrust us with, or allow us to gather, sensitive information in relation to their health and other matters. They do so in confidence and have the right to expect that staff will respect their privacy and act appropriately
- In the performance of the duties outlined in this Job Description, the MA may have access to confidential information relating to patients, practice staff and other healthcare workers. They may also have access to information relating to the practice as a business organisation. All such information from any source is to be regarded as strictly confidential
- Information relating to patients, carers, colleagues, other healthcare workers or the business of the practice may only be divulged to authorised persons in accordance with the practice policies and procedures relating to confidentiality and the protection of personal and sensitive data.
Good, solid judgment and discretion needed while performing duties. Clear and conceptual thinking ability, ability to handle work related stress; ability to handle multiple priorities simultaneously
Use computer, office software, and standard office equipment such as: multi line telephone, calculator, fax/copier, and mailing equipment
- High school graduate or equivalent required
- Graduate of an accredited Medical Assisting (MA) program, required
- Must have current MA certification, required
- One year medical clinic experience, preferred.
- Must be computer literate
- Personality and demeanor to deal with the public and assist ill, older, or distraught patients.
- Must have excellent customer service, time management, and multitasking skills
- Good sense of organization.
- Must pay attention to detail, have telephone skills, and be professional at all times.
- Must be able to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Must have the ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Must have the ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
Work involves varied activities which include standing, walking, reaching, bending, lifting. The job calls for manual and finger dexterity, eye-hand coordination, and occasionally lifting or carrying up to 25 pounds. Corrected vision and hearing to normal range are both required. Work may be performed under stressful conditions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this job classification. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of people assigned to this job classification. Management reserves the right to change the duties or add to the duties of this job whenever it deems necessary.
Interested and qualified professionals may submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.