Experienced Medical Secretary
Position Reports To: LPN/RN and DON
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
To provide paraprofessional support to physician and nurses as it relates to phone and paper flow.
- Answer phone taking all messages and matching to appropriate records. Emergency calls to be passed directly to nurse or physician.
- Filing of all dictation and test results, office and hospital.
- Fax and copy medical records as requested.
- Act as inner office courier as needed.
- Call other offices or insurance companies as needed for authorization numbers.
- Call normal test results if requested.
- Call in prescriptions if requested.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Dealing with patient information/patient records. All information is confidential.
Must take very good phone messages and make sure messages are processed. Failure to do so could result in patients illness going untreated. Must possess good organizational skills. Must possess a great deal of common sense.
Error in judgement and lack of customer service skills could lead to poor relations with the patients which would result in poor public relations for the physician and clinic. Errors in job duties could lead to patients illness going untreated or medication not called in a timely manner.
Heavy contact with patients on the phone. Daily interaction with co-workers.
Office environment; average noise level; heavy phone usage; stress level – medium to high.
Telephone; computers to access medical record numbers on occasion.
Required: High school diploma or GED
Preferred: Unit coordinator course or medical terminology course through vocational
Preferred: At least one year experience in medical office/setting
Required: Must possess excellent communication skills and excellent phone etiquette.
Must be able to stoop and lift medical records. Must have the ability to
deal with all different kinds of personalities with a great deal of patience.
Must be able to sit for long periods of time. Must have excellent hearing and excellent eyesight.
Must be able to lift up to 25 lbs. Must be able to communicate clearly.
The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this job classification. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of people assigned to this job classification. Management reserves the right to change the duties or add to the duties of this job whenever it deems necessary.